Tuesday, June 12, 2007

No Clothes!

One of Katie's favorite books right now is called Adam, Adam, What Do You See?. The book highlights some of the major people in the Bible in order but in the style of Bill Martin, Jr. (also known for Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?). While Adam sees "creation all around me," Katie just sees, "no clothes!"

So I say, "Yes, Katie, Adam is naked. Before sin entered the world, people were naked and without shame." Do you think she got that? Either way, we turn the page.

Next comes Noah. "Nona, clothes!" Katie points out. And she continues to turn the pages pointing out people and saying, "clothes!" Eventually she always turns back to Adam and shows me that he, unlike the others, has no clothes.

"Katie," I say, "Adam and his wife Eve sinned and with that came shame. So people started to wear clothes. That's why everyone after Adam wears clothes." I think she's getting it.

Today we were playing outside, and I let Katie drink lemonade out of my cup. Of course it spilled all over her, so as we went inside, I took off her shirt and threw it into the washing machine. As we made our way upstairs to get her another shirt. Katie said, "No clothes!" She ran and got her blankie and put it over herself, giggling all the way.

Now I don't really think that Katie was ashamed because she has run around topless without shame after many a bath. And I while I don't think that she really "gets" the whole connection of clothes and the Fall, she is interested in the idea that for some reason, Adam doesn't wear clothes, while Abraham and John the Baptist do. Interesting what catches her attention.

No comments: